Migrate Windows Server 2008 / 2012 to 2016 (Windows Server 2012 R2 was succeeded by Windows Server 2016)
Windows Server 2016 was released on September 26, 2016 at Microsoft’s Ignite conference and became generally available on October 12, 2016.
Key Features of Windows Server 2016
- Active Directory Federation Services: It is possible to configure AD FS to authenticate users stored in non-AD directories, such as X.500 compliant Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) directories and SQL databases.
- Windows Defender: Windows Server Antimalware is installed and enabled by default without the GUI, which is an installable Windows feature.
- Remote Desktop Services: Support for OpenGL 4.4 and OpenCL 1.1, performance and stability improvements; MultiPoint Services role (see Windows MultiPoint Server)
- Storage Services: Central Storage QoS Policies; Storage Replicas (storage-agnostic, block-level, volume-based, synchronous and asynchronous replication using SMB3 between servers for disaster recovery). Storage Replica replicates blocks instead of files; files can be in use. It’s not multi-master, not one-to-many and not transitive. It periodically replicates snapshots, and the replication direction can be changed.
- Failover Clustering: Cluster operating system rolling upgrade, Storage Replicas
- Web Application Proxy: Preauthentication for HTTP Basic application publishing, wildcard domain publishing of applications, HTTP to HTTPS redirection, Propagation of client IP address to backend applications
- IIS 10: Support for HTTP/2
- Windows PowerShell 5.1
- Windows Server Containers
Advantages of Windows Server 2016
- Affordable and enterprise ready
- Built-in SDDC capabilities
- Azure-inspired infrastructure
Cloud-ready application platform
- Traditional and cloud-native applications
- Azure hybrid use benefit
New layers of security
- Secure virtualization
- Breach resistance
- Privileged identity protection
How Synergy IT Can help you?
Synergy IT is Microsoft partner and well versed with migrations services from 2008 / 2012 to Windows Server 2016. Whether you are a small business or large enterprise with hundreds of users, we can seamlessly migrate your server with minimum disruption.
Microsoft and Synergy IT are here to support your Data-center Transformation. You can visit our site on Microsoft.com to get more information about this End of Support. You can also request to compete an Immersion Session so that you can see and interact first hand with the technologies that you will be migrating to.